The AWA Provincials is being held on September 7-9 at Canoe Meadows on the Kananaskis River. The Provincials will bring together a broad group of whitewater kayak and canoe enthusiasts and their families:
- from novice to international medal winners
- competing in slalom, downriver racing, boater cross and freestyle rodeo at both the novice and advanced levels
- paddlers from 8 to 68 years of age.
- participants from Lethbridge, Pincher Creek, Crowsnest Pass, Calgary, Canmore, Banff, Cochrane, Innisfail, Red Deer, Sundre, Medicine Hat, Edmonton, Jasper, Grande Prairie as well as more northerly communities and points in-between.
- 100 of Alberta’s most active paddlers and their families will be in attendance
Canoe Meadows is the perfect family friendly venue for this event with camping adjacent to the slalom race course and freestyle waves, a picnic shelter, playing field, walking paths and numerous attractions nearby. So once you get here and get your camp unpacked, you can park your vehicle for the weekend and not worry about running all over the place.
On Saturday night the AWA has catered a dinner for everyone, so you can relax and enjoy your weekend without having to worry about bringing all the food and making all the meals. Just bring some breakfast and lunch fixings and snacks and your favourite beverages. And don’t forget your cutlery and dishware and we will try to be green.
Friday will be a day for honing your technique working with Alberta’s cadre of slalom and freestyle coaches and recreational instructors. Saturday and Sunday we will have a variety of events for everyone. Points will be earned in each event and will be counted towards the overall Alberta Whitewater Champion. The overall male and female champions in Cadets, Juniors, Seniors and Masters have a chance to win a major prize and prizes will be awarded to all other competitors on the windup awards Sunday afternoon. Over $1,000 in prizes will be drawn for at the Provincials.
This was an excellent event last year, in fact the Provincials has been one of Alberta's premiere kayaking events since 1977. We hope to build on the success and have the best ever Provincials. I look forward to having you join us this year.
Individuals and Families can sign up for camping, races and the Saturday night supper.